Ten Ways to Become a Captivating Storyteller By Mike Moore
People love to be told stories but are easily turned off when they are told poorly. Here are ten effective tips to make sure your stories are told well and captivate your listeners.
1. Be on the lookout for stories throughout your day. Stories are everywhere so carry a notepad with you and jot the storyline down in point form. Flesh it out later.
2. Know the story you are going to tell.
3. Keep it short, crisp and flowing.
4. Don’t be afraid to make it your own.
5. Tell the story don’t read it. Anyone can read a story not everyone can tell a story well.
6. Use your voice for dramatic effect.
7. Never let a story drag on and on.
8. Don’t get bogged down with detail.
9. Insert stories into general conversation whenever you get the chance. I heard the other day… I read in the paper recently about… I saw a man/woman in the coffee shop and….
These are just a few of the many ways to insert your story into conversation.
10. Never explain your story to your listeners. Let the story speak for itself.
For more on the Art of Magnetic Storytelling plus a bonus copy of Tell Me a Story ( 30 short life lesson stories)
FREE copy with every purchase of Magnetic Storytelling
Mike: I cannot say enough good things about your ” Magnetic Storytelling” audio. Last week I implemented some of your suggestions in a three part series I gave. Had people laughing and crying. Yesterday, had the same thing happen. What is most amazing was your advice about not pointing out what you want the audience to learn from your stories. Both weekends, I have had people come up and tell me what they got out of my talk – they were getting things out that I hadn’t put in!
Thanks again – you’ve given me an extremely valuable tool that I hadn’t realized I was missing. It has radically transformed my effectiveness!
God bless, Bob Fogarty